20 Powerful Lessons I Learned from Oprah About Success
15 Nov 2013
Oprah is one of my favorite celebrities to watch. From the conclusion of her #1-rated network show to the launch of her OWN network in 2011, she has found a formula for success that has made her a household name. As I was watching her newest shows one Saturday afternoon, I had to ask myself: What is it that makes Oprah Winfrey so appealing to the masses? What is that "thing" she has?
So I sat down and took notes during a self-induced OWN network-binge and observed that it wasn't just one thing that has made this talk-show icon a success, it's a number of things that she does well—consistently. And here are my Top 20 Lessons on Success from Oprah:
- Keep it real. Be authentic.
- Connect and care about your audience.
- Love what you do and do what you love.
- Don’t be afraid to show vulnerability.
- Be a force for change.
- Hire people who are smart, creative and fit your company culture. They will become your Brand Ambassadors.
- Be comfortable in your own skin.
- Stay positive.
- Use your influence for good.
- Only put your name on things you believe in.
- Live to give.
- Consciously build your legacy.
- Help others become successful.
- Work hard. Play hard.
- Don’t dwell on your mistakes. Use them to improve and move on.
- Live your passion.
- Don’t believe your own hype.
- Personality is everything.
- Be empathetic.
- And finally: Don’t get comfortable. Keep evolving.
We would all do well to incorporate some or all of these lessons into our own personal and professional lives. After all, they’ve worked for Oprah for almost 30 years. She must be doing something right.
What lessons have you learned from the successful people who have powerful brands? Have any of Oprah’s lessons worked for you? Leave your comments below!